Sunday 2 December 2012

Procrastination is a handmade peg bag.

As usual because I have a deadline for a couple of craft fayres I seem to be doing everything but the work needed to prepare. I have to say that I am quite pleased about how this procrastination excercise came out, and will probably make a few for my stalls now, so maybe it wasn't total avoidance but creativity by another name!

 
This a peg bag made on request for a work colleague as her daughter has just bought her first house and is now the proud owner of a garden with washing line and wants a peg bag for Christmas - how could I refuse?
 
I made the pattern for it after cutting down a child size wooden hanger and tracing the top curve  then allowing a drop of 30 cm plus seam allowances of 1cm. It was very simple. I just cut three pieces (two in my main fabric and one in the lining) then cut a 12cm circle out of the front piece. As the lady in question loves cupcakes I appliqued one from fabric scraps and a button for the cherry - adding some vintage lace for the frill around the cup. Then taking a tip from Small Birdie's sister I used the wider sized bias binding around the edge of the hole. I then layered the front and back pieces right side facing and the lining wrong side to wrong side on the back piece. Machine stitched all round the outside edge and turned it through the hole on the front piece. Simple!
 
Small birdie, as well as a few others on this wonderful creation the world wide web, have had the fantastically cute idea of painting pegs to match. Loving all things vintage I went for the old style 'dolly' peg - two layers of emulsion in grey, blue and pink, dots of white emulsion using the wrong end of a paint brush and then two layers of outdoor vanish (I was paranoid that the paint might run when it rains - someone tell me if I am over thinking this!).
 
I think it meets the brief of 'a modern peg bag with a hint of Cath Kidston', what do you think?
 
These cold crisp mornings and chilly evenings have also driven me to my other procrastination projects - my attempt at knitting a huge stripey scarf for myself and also the handmade fleece onesie for the adorable tot. Am I the only one who seems to need four or five projects on the go to satisfy the lack of attention span?
 
Tonight after a lovely plate of Jamie spaghetti bolognese with a well deserved single glass of red I am strapping onto the sewing table for the long haul. Wish me luck, this girl has a six foot table to fill!
 
Keep warm and thanks for reading :)
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi,I love to hear from like minded people so please leave a comment to tell me about what you have been up to and what has been inspiring you.